Solid Waste Department Summary:
The Lee County Solid Waste Department provides residential garbage collection services to Lee County citizens living outside the City of Tupelo. The Lee County Transfer Station is open from 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on the second and fourth Saturday of each month (excluding holidays).
The Lee County Transfer Station receives waste primarily from Lee and Itawamba counties. In addition to serving as a transfer
station, the facility has a ferrous metal scrap pile, used tire collection trailer, newspaper trailer, cardboard bailer, and recycling trailer. Please note additional recycling facilities are located throughout the county.
Solid Waste Enforcement Officer Duties and Responsibilities:
- Bears responsibility for efforts to eliminate illegal solid waste dumping in the county
- Establishes procedures for receiving, processing, investigating, and ultimately resolving solid waste complaints
- Maintains a working knowledge and understanding of the State of Mississippi’s solid waste laws and regulations, all local laws and ordinances applicable to solid waste management conditions, and the provisions of the approved local solid waste management plan
- Maintains an understanding of the local solid waste management systems
- Develops public education and outreach programs
- Develops a working relationship with other government and community departments, agencies, etc.
- Participates in the development and implementation of special events or programs to manage solid wastes
Floodplain Administrator Duties and Responsibilities:
The Floodplain Administrator helps protect and educate citizens against flood hazards. Among other activities, the Floodplain Administrator helps maintain flood hazard maps, issues floodplain certificates, and hold educational forums in order to better educate citizens on flood-related issues.
Solid Waste Contact Information:
Solid Waste Director
281 CR 1282
Tupelo, MS 38804
Phone: (662) 844-2003
Solid Waste Enforcement & Floodplain Management Contact Information:
Solid Waste Enforcement Director/
Phone: (662) 432-2090
P.O. Box 1785
Tupelo, MS 38802
201 W. Jefferson St.
Tupelo, MS 38804